SALE PRICE $29.98! That's 50% off list
(regular list price is $59.98)
Scroll down to view video preview and view details...
They All Played for Us
CD 540 A-D
They All Played For Us: Arhoolie Records' 50th Anniversary Celebration
4 CDs with a 192 page, full color, hardcover book
Over 4 hours and 58 minutes of music
Over 175 color photographs by Mike Melnyk
Commentary by Chris Strachwitz and band members
Direct from Arhoolie Price of $29.95
On February 4, 5, and 6, 2011 there was a benefit for the Arhoolie Foundation celebrating the 50th anniversary of Arhoolie Records. Three joyous days of concerts and panel discussions were held in Berkeley, California at the Freight and Salvage to honor Chris Strachwitz and Arhoolie’s 50 years of documenting and preserving traditional music. There was even the first New Orleans-style brass band parade through the streets of Berkeley with the Treme Brass Band and a second line. The concerts were hosted by American Routes radio host Nick Spitzer and featured:
|Santiago Jimenez Jr.
y la familia Peña-Govea
|Ry Cooder||Any Old Time String Band|
|David Doucet||Peter Rowan|
|Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands||The Goodtime Washboard 3|
|Creole Belles||Barbara Dane and Bob Mielke's Jazz All Stars|
|Toni Brown and Terry Garthwaite||Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band|
|Treme Brass Band||Suzy and Eric Thompson|
|Maria Muldaur||Country Joe McDonald|
|Campbell Brothers||Savoy Family Band|
The events were recorded by Fantasy Studios and the Bay Area’s premier concert photographer Mike Melnyk captured the performances and backstage activities. This limited edition book and CD set is filled with passionate music, stunning full color photos and remembrances. Chris Strachwitz with Adam Machado, writes about each band, and then each band comments about Chris, Arhoolie Records, and traditional music. If you were at the event, you'll want this as a lasting memory. If you weren't, get it to share the experience.
"It was a weekend of earthy, honest, gutsy music and fun celebrating fifty years of good ol’ Arhoolie Records! I had no idea that all these years after releasing the first Arhoolie LP in 1960, Mance Lipscomb: Texas Sharecropper and Songster, I would still be on this planet, outliving many of the fascinating and unique musical legends I had the pleasure of meeting and recording. This book brings to life in sounds, stories, and pictures those three days of celebration in February 2011 at the Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse in Berkeley, CA. I was delighted and surprised by how many friends and musicians were willing to contribute their talents freely to this extravaganza, even though some had never even recorded for Arhoolie! Photographer Mike Melnyk was on hand capturing the various sights, and Fantasy Studios captured the sounds. I hope this resulting book with four CDs will spread joy into your ears and eyes."
— Chris Strachwitz
"Strachwitz had this fabulous approach with people: he would just walk right in with his big smile and this openhearted manner that he has. Nobody turned him down, nobody was doubtful, they just accepted him. After he became known and on friendly terms with a lot of the players down there [South Texas], he got to be known as El Fanatico, who wanted to hear every song, know every story, bought every record he could get his hands on, and he never stopped."
— Ry Cooder
"This young guy from Navasota, TX going to school with me came in one day and was oh, just so excited by the record he had in his hand...it was Chris' first Arhoolie record, Mance Lipscomb: Texas Sharecropper & Songster. I have to tell you, that's when it started for me."
— Taj Mahal
"The most amazing thing about [Chris] is he's tireless and he knows exactly what he wants. The more primitive you sound the better it is for him. It's very interesting, because I don't think everyone approaches music or life that way."
— David Doucet
"I'm delighted to be included in Arhoolie's 50th Anniversary recording. It's an honor to be a part of that. I've grown more and more to appreciate what Chris has done to save so much music from oblivion and to expand the horizons for a lot of roots music. He has made such a huge effort to support the music locally and everywhere hither, thither, and yon. He just seems to be one of those ebullient people. Gets very very very excited about what he likes. He's a bear of a man. But he's not just one thing only: he perseveres, he's continuing on. Viva la musica!"
— Peter Rowan
"Don't tell me they don't make music like this anymore. They sure damn do!"
— Barbara Dane
"If it hadn't been for Arhoolie, I don't know where I would be at today...Everything that I love Chris has supported, everything I love Chris has cultivated it, and everything that I love Chris has helped bring out in me. There should be a 'Chris Strachwitz Day' that the whole world would celebrate."
— Marc Savoy
CD 1 . . . . .
1. Introduction - Nick Spitzer
2. Ay te dejo en San Antonio - Santiago Jimenez Jr. y la familia Peña-Govea
3. Viva Seguín - Santiago Jimenez Jr. y la familia Peña-Govea
4. Voy caminando - Los Cenzontles
5. El Chuchumbe - Los Cenzontles
6. Vigilante Man - Ry Cooder
7. Wooly Bully - Ry Cooder
8. Let Me Fall - Any Old Time String Band
9. Long Lost Lover Blues - Any Old Time String Band
10. C-U-B-A - Any Old Time String Band
11. I've Got What It Takes - Any Old Time String Band
12. Bee la Manche - David Doucet
13. La Valse a Pop - David Doucet
14. Boudreaux / J'ai Ete Au Zydeco - David Doucet
15. The Free Mexican Air Force - Peter Rowan
16. Break My Heart Again - Peter Rowan
17. O My Malissa - Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands
18. Here Today - Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands
19. Sally Gooden - Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands
CD 2 . . . . .
1. Texas Blue Bonnets - Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands
2. I Bid You Goodnight - Ensemble
3. Introduction to the Goodtime Washboard 3 - Nick Spitzer
4. Oh By Jingo - The Goodtime Washboard 3
5. Pasadena - The Goodtime Washboard 3
6. Oakland - The Goodtime Washboard 3
7. Step It Up and Go - The Goodtime Washboard 3
8. Le Fond De Culottes / La Danse De La Misere - Creole Belles
9. Separation Waltz - Creole Belles
10. Tes Parents Ne Veulent Plus Me Voir - Creole Belles
11. Joe Simien Special - Creole Belles
12. My Bucket's Got a Hole in It - Barbara Dane and Bob Mielke's Jazz All Stars
13. Make Me a Pallet on the Floor - Barbara Dane and Bob Mielke's Jazz All Stars
14. Milenburg Joys - Barbara Dane and Bob Mielke's Jazz All Stars
15. Trouble in Mind - Barbara Dane and Bob Mielke's Jazz All Stars
16. Midnight Blues / Closer to the Ground - Toni Brown and Terry Garthwaite
17. Port Arthur Blues - Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band
18. Marie - Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band
CD 3 . . . . .
1. Midland Two Step - Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band
2. I Made a Big Mistake - Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band
3. Amede Two Step - Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band
4. Parade - Treme Brass Band
5. Jazz Funeral - Treme Brass Band
6. My Bucket's Got a Hole in It - Treme Brass Band
7. Welfare Blues - Treme Brass Band
8. When the Saints Go Marching In - Treme Brass Band
9. I Don't Drink No Whiskey - Suzy and Eric Thompson
10. In the Pines - Suzy and Eric Thompson
11. In My Girlish Days – Maria Muldaur with Suzy and Eric Thompson
12. Lake Arthur Stomp - Suzy and Eric Thompson
13. I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag - Country Joe McDonald
14. Save the Whales - Country Joe McDonald
15. Oklahoma Hills - Country Joe McDonald
16. End of My Journey - Campbell Brothers
CD 4 . . . . .
1. Going Home on the Morning Train - Campbell Brothers
2. Jump for Joy - Campbell Brothers
3. México Americano - Los Cenzontles
4. Prenda del alma - Los Cenzontles
5. Arizona, estado de verguenza - Los Cenzontles
6. Puno de tierra - Los Cenzontles
7. Lapin Dans Son Nique - Savoy Family Band
8. Little Black Eyes - Savoy Family Band
9. Quo Faire - Savoy Family Band
10. Reno Waltz - Savoy Family Band
11. Eunice Two Step - Savoy Family Band
12. Blues with a Feeling - Taj Mahal
13. Roscoe's Mule Down in Roscoe's Barn - Taj Mahal
14. Fishing Blues - Taj Mahal
15. Corinna - Taj Mahal
16. The New Hula Blues - Taj Mahal
17. Goodnight, Irene - Ensemble